Frari Church - Basilica of the Frari
The Basilica of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari , known more commonly as Frari Church, is one of the largest and oldest churches in Venice. It is located in the Campo dei Frari, in the heart of the San Polo district, and it preserves many works of art in its interior.
The history of this place begins when the Franciscans were granted a piece of land on which to build a small church dedicated to Santa Maria. Nevertheless, the building was enlarged and completed in 1338.
Cotto tile and Istrian stone give this monumental Gothic church its colours, and its interior offers masterpieces by Titian: the Pesaro altarpiece and the Assumption. The church also houses the tomb of the Cadore painter.